Friday, November 21, 2008

Camping

Dear Annie,

So, yeah... I got home from work tonight and I hadn't the energy to get out of my car. I just sat there for ten minutes or so, thinking "finally... it's over! Time for vacation!"

I'm sitting in my parents' home right now. It is late and I should go to sleep soon. We are getting up early to leave for Death Valley.

TEN WHOLE DAYS away from everyone and everything... and hopefully out of cell phone range! Maybe I just won't take my phone with me!

I am not so sure why you dislike camping. Have you ever been? Some people like to rough it, but my family takes the motorhome. This way, you have the best of both worlds. Campfire, millions of stars, far from civilization, yet, running water and electricity!

Few things are so relaxing as sitting around a campfire and looking up at the stars. Campfires inspire good conversation. Maybe it is the dimly lit faces, familiar, yet somehow strange in the flickering light of the fire. Maybe it's the the warm glow or the marshmallows (I never cared for marshmallows...).

People keep asking me what's there to do in Death Valley? There are canyons, dirt roads, sand dunes, lava rocks, abandoned mine shafts... The best Gilbert Christmas card ever is a picture of Laurie and I standing in front of a mine shaft with flashlights. There is a big DANGER sign above the entrance. And yes, we really do go exploring in the mines.

The coolest phenomenon in Death Valley is called the racetrack. Here is a picture of it (as well as others of Death Valley).







Love,
Taintedsky



6 comments:

A. Roberts said...

Wow...now I understand why it's called DEATH VALLEY.

Your vacation slides are going to be a real yawn...

Hohn C said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Hohn C said...

You really have NO filter sometimes. :-) I really like the pictures! (Previous post removed due to bad grammar.)

Hohn C said...

So are you BACK?

Jeannie Gilbert said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
dbircsak said...

Aww I love marshmallows.. well at least the first two, then it's too much of a good thing

Are those your pictures? They look professional. There was a cool mine in Havasupai, Grand Canyon, when I went. It had three levels and you had to lower yourself on a rope to go lower. I kept saying "they dug too deep and awakened the Balrog"