Thursday, July 31, 2008

Ardelle

Dear Annie,

I remember high school.
I remember being terribly unpopular.
And I remember Ardelle.

Ardelle was the most popular girl in school. She had long wavy brown hair, big green eyes, and a perfect smile. Every boy liked her and every girl wanted to be her. My little group of friends secretly loathed her existence for a decade. We'd make fun of her incessantly, and would never call her Ardelle, we'd call her “Ardle.”

Yes, my reject group of friends and I were rather pathetic. We blamed our life problems on this one girl. It was her fault if the popular boys ignored us. It was her fault if we were consistently picked last during PE. Somehow she was the secret orchestrator behind all our daily misery. Even after I left for boarding school, the memory of Ardelle lingered with me.

I ran into Ardelle again in college (the year I spent in England). She barely remembered my name. All that time I had wasted obsessing over her, and she hadn't thought of me at all! One night we went to a concert, and missed the last train back to Bracknell. We spent the night roaming the rainy streets of London together. Suddenly I had a chance to get to know her. She started to become a real person in my mind. I remember telling her all of my accomplishments...I thought if I could impress her she'd be jealous of me for once.

You know, she was a little beast back in the days. One time our 6th grade class went on a field trip. Ardelle's mom drove one of the cars, and my best friend Julie was placed with her group. Ardelle and her snotty little friends snubbed Julie, and verbally protested at the thought of her riding with them.

I found Ardelle on Myspace a year ago. Just for kicks I added her as a friend. She told me how she was studying to be a therapist. I told her my mom was one. I even sent her out to meet with my mother so she could get some insight on the career path. After their meeting was over my mom called me. I have never heard her sound so enchanted, yet, so sad. Ardelle's beauty truly swept my mom away, but Ardelle must have confided in my mom, as well. I don't know what exactly was said, but I know based on how it effected my mother that I no longer have any reason to feel jealous of Ardelle. I am thankful that I am not her...that I did not suffer through the life she suffered through. Her family, her friends... I'm thankful that I didn't make the poor choices in life that she made.

Was high school a dream? I don't know if anything I thought or felt back then was based in reality. It was a world full of fake devotion, fake friends and selfishness. Ardelle matters to me now...my “friends” from back then, however, sadly do not.

So were you hate worthy in high school? Probably not. But that doesn't mean I wouldn't have hated you. I'm sure you were somebody's Ardelle, and so, perhaps, was I.

Love,
Taintedsky

No comments: