Thursday, July 24, 2008

Pedigree



Dear Annie,

I don't mind the garbage. I'm not so good with remembering numbers and the discarded designer boxes by your front door are a perfect way for me to know I'm at the right home.

Have you seen the show "My Name is Earl"? I used to love that show! I felt a strange affinity for those people.

The word "pedigree" means nothing to me. Sure my father is a doctor...a very brilliant man. He single handedly revolutionized emergency medicine and no one will ever give him credit for this. My parents lived the good life for a few years...then something happened. A series of bad investments perhaps? We moved out of our fancy estate into a suburban tract home. I don't remember much of the old days.

My Mother's first car when they married was a Porsche 911. She says she was afraid to drive it anywhere, however, and by the time I came along she had graduated to a puke green VW Rabbit. She drove this little heap of diesel guzzling junk well into the early 90s. Many a morning she'd cram my sister, the neighbor kids and me into its ratty green interior and haul us off to school. So embarrassing!




My Father, on the other hand, had commandeered my mother's 1971 blue Duster. This muscle car was so ancient that my mom had to have the dealer custom install seat belts when she bought it (the kind where you buckled the top and bottom separately). They simply weren't in fashion back then and everyone thought she was nuts. My parents, being cute, gave it a personalized license plate of: BLU DSTR. However, when the DMV printed it up they left so little space between the U and D, that it read BLUDSTR. My Father was consistently late on his way to work, and hence, would drive too fast. You can imagine the shock and awe of many a police officer upon pulling that blue speed demon over to find a prestigious doctor behind the wheel: dressed in scrubs and completely covered in donut crumbs. Ah yes...I have fond memories of the Duster (it always smelled so sweet). We owned it so long that my sister had the privilege of using it as her first mode of independent transportation.








R.I.P. BLUDSTER


I had great fun hanging out with you today. You and Jim are so cute together.

I enjoyed showing flashcards to the twins. It was so neat to see how attentive they were: so eager to learn. I want kids!!!

Love,
Lisa

No comments: