Friday, September 12, 2008

Oboe

Dear Annie,

I’m sitting here listening to The Mission soundtrack on my iPod. It was written by Ennio Morricone, who is probably one of the most brilliant composers alive. On my way to Gelson’s for lunch today, I had it playing, and everything seemed to pass by in slow motion. Much like your Oblivion soundtrack does for you, when I’m listening to this music, the minutiae of life suddenly seem meaningful. Stop lights, passing cars, a dog peeing on a fire hydrant... 

My favorite song on the album is Gabriel’s Oboe.

I’d say that the oboe is, without a doubt, my favorite instrument. I did not discover this until about a year ago. And when I realized it, I looked online for oboe music, and found it surprisingly hard to come by.

The oboe is a rather unassuming instrument. If you saw one, you’d think it would make an ugly sound, and never guess it would cost you thousands of dollars. I wish I had one. I’d promise my firstborn to whatever devilish creature could conjure me up an oboe...

Few sounds can wrap themselves around my heart like its perfect timbre. It is melancholy, passionate, haunting, yet strangely hopeful. Subdued, yet violent. 

People always imagine angels as playing harps, I think of them as playing oboes.

Love,
Taintedsky

No comments: