Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Time Capsule

Dear Annie,

I was going to begin this blog with a poem I wrote at nineteen, but I thought better of it. In fact, thumbing through my poetry journal just now makes me blush, and the only thing keeping me from setting it aflame is the thought that I just recently replaced the battery in my smoke detector.

What was I doing at nineteen? Tell me, for crying out loud!

The year I graduated from high school, my senior class buried a time capsule over by the tennis courts. They plan to dig it up on our twentieth reunion. I remember that I wrote a note to myself, and also one to my high school sweetheart (who dumped me six months later for my roommate). My only regret now is that I am compelled to return on that fateful day to watch my class open the thing. Will I read those letters? Should I read them?

I would really like to know what advice my nineteen year old self has for me now. What would she tell me?

“You old prude,” she’d begin, “You grew up to become everything you loathed.”
“Yes I did,” I’d reply, “and my only regret is ever being you.”

If you could go back and relive your youth with the knowledge you have now, would you? I don't think I would. Even with all the mistakes I've made, I'd much rather not suffer through the misery of being a teenager again.

I had three best friends in boarding academy: Heather, Tiffany and Breanna. We would sit around and joke about who would get married first, and now I'm the only one still single. Two of them have kids, and the third is the one who married my high school sweetheart! I guess the joke's on me, huh?

I wonder what I'll be like ten years from now. Will I be married? Will I have children? And most importantly, will I be fat? I better not be. I'm going to write a letter to myself right now.

Dear Lisa,

It has been a long time since you were me. I wonder what you are up to. I hope you are married with children, and own your own island by now, like you planned. Have you ran for office yet? Perhaps you are a supermodel, a housewife and the president? And you better not have gained a pound!

Sincerely,
Your younger, better looking self.



Love,
Taintedsky

4 comments:

Hohn C said...

You are starting to sound like Annie in your writing. Which is not, in itself, a bad thing.

I just don't know what in the world I am ever going to do with TWO of you!

taintedsky said...

I KNOW. I try... to write as well as she does, that is.

Actually it is really tough not to go biblical with my blogs and make them all Christianly. I feel so worldly when I write them I'm afraid to show them to anyone but you guys! =)

dbircsak said...

Where does one buy an island?

taintedsky said...

www.privateislandsonline.com